Made of white Carrara marble brought from Italy, this exquisite royal temple, whose Thai name means ‘Temple of the Fifth King’, is more widely known by foreigners as the Marble Temple. The site was built at the turn of the century under the reign of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) in 1899. The main bot, or chapel, is a prime example of modern Thai architecture and employs European styles such as stained glass windows. The interior of the main building is magnificently decorated with cross beams of lacquer and gold. A courtyard behind the bot contains 53 Buddha images (33 originals and 20 copies), representing famous images and styles from all over Asia, Thailand and other Buddhist countries.
Visitors are allowed inside the temple every day from 8.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. Located in central Bangkok on Rama V Road, guests of Novotel Bangkok Silom Road can reach the Marble Temple within approximately 20 minutes away by taxi.